The purpose of this document is to assist in the application process for board certification for the subspecialty of Interventional Pulmonology. This process is being overseen by the American Association of Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology (AABIP).
The qualifications for each individual applicant will be reviewed by the Eligibility Review Committee (ERC) of the AABIP. Please refer to the eligibility criteria for the AABIP Interventional Pulmonary Board Certification examination.
The Eligibility Review Committee (ERC) will be composed of:
- Four members from the AABIP Board of Directors (at the time of appointment)
- Six additional members from the Interventional Pulmonary community
In addition to the 11 committee members there will be up to an additional 10 “at large or ad hoc” members selected to assist in the review process.
Process opened June 1, 2016 8:00 am EST
The Interventional Pulmonary Board Certification application process will be conducted ONLINE and will include:
- Application fee: $1900.00
- Application Form
- Medical School Diploma, ECFMG Certificate, State Medical License
- Verification of training and experience
- Residency and Fellowship Certificates
- Curriculum vitae
- Procedure logbook (spreadsheet only)
- MUST include complete procedure numbers within 3 years prior to examination date
- MUST include a date, procedure listing (CPT code AND Code Descriptor), diagnosis (ICD-9 or ICD-10 AND Code Descriptor) and Category for EACH individual procedure
- EACH procedure MUST be placed into a category and labeled
- Complex airway
- Advanced diagnostic bronchoscopy
- A CPT summary is NOT acceptable as a logbook
- DO NOT SEND ANY INFORMATION CONTAINING PATIENT IDENTIFIERS or PHI
- THIS IS A HIPAA VIOLATION. AABIP IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SUCH BREACHES OF PRIVACY THAT OCCUR AS A RESULT OF THE ACTIONS OF APPLICANTS AND ANY LOG SUBMITTED WITH PHI WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY.
- You will then be required to submit a new application from scratch
- Attestation letter
- DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER FOR THE ONLINE SUBMISSION. PLEASE USE CHROME OR FIREFOX
September 15, 2016 5pm EST
All documentation must be received prior to deadline. Failure to provide all documentation will lead to forfeiture of the application fee. If the applicant chooses to withdraw from consideration he/she will have 1 week for a full refund, after which a portion will be kept for administrative costs. If the withdrawal is requested after all the application materials are received, a penalty will apply or the applicant may choose to apply the full amount towards the next year’s application plus any additional costs if applicable. (See refund policy below.)
- 85% of the exam fee will be refunded if cancellation is received on or before 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the cancellation deadline.
- 50% of the exam fee will be refunded when cancellation is received between 12:00 midnight Eastern Time on the day after the cancellation deadline and 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on the day prior to the exam.
Once all of the credentialing material has been submitted, an individual account and packet will be put together by the AABIP administrative staff and will then be forwarded to the Chair of the ERC; the packet will then be distributed to one of the ERC members. The individual member of the ERC will then have 1 week to review the information and either accept or reject a member’s application. Rejections must be accompanied by appropriate comments by the ERC member.
If accepted, the applicant will be notified by e-mail regarding eligibility to sit for the examination. This eligibility will be valid for two years. The applicant may opt to sit for the AABIP Board Certification Examination during this time-frame, if they are unable to do so, the applicant will be required to completely repeat the application process.
If the application is rejected the notification will come by e-mail as well as a letter on AABIP certified stationery, signed by the current Chair of the ERC. If the application is rejected, the individual will have the opportunity for an appeal. The appeal must be initiated through the AABIP website by the applicant via a formal letter requesting review. This appeal must be requested within 2 weeks of the date of the rejection letter, in order to make the deadline for the examination. Chairman of the ERC will then review the appeal and entire application. If the application is rejected again, the Chairman of the ERC will present this application to the entire Board of Directors. The AABIP Board of Directors then votes anonymously and majority opinion determines the final status regarding the appeal. If the BOD decision is to confirm rejection of the application, the final notification will be sent to the applicant by e-mail as well as a formal letter from the AABIP, signed by the current President. The applicant will, however, have the opportunity to reapply for future examinations.
Once the application process has been completed and approved, the ERC will compile a list of individuals accepted to sit for the examination and forward this on to Castle Worldwide Inc., who will provide the registrant with all of the necessary information regarding exam registration, location and logistics.
December 9th, 2016
Testing will be conducted by Castle Worldwide. There are numerous testing facilities available. Once approved to sit for the examination, information and logistics regarding the exam will be conducted by Castle directly with the candidate.
It is important for applicants to note that, in the United States, each State Medical Board has different policies and guidelines for physician advertising regarding specialty board certification. The AABIP recommends that applicants contact their State Medical Board for more information.